Old St. Stephen Cemetery Gallery
St Stephen Cemetery was the first Catholic cemetery in Hamilton. The oldest section is located on the south side of Greenwood Ave. The first burials took place in 1850. Our dedicated grounds crew have taken time from their regular maintenance duties to unearth over thirty 19th century headstones. Broken stones have been diligently epoxied together, cleaned and reset upright on their foundations.
St. Mary/St. Stephen Cemeteries have been servicing the Catholic community of the greater Hamilton area for more than 150 years.
The two cemeteries are cornerstones of our community, representing both local history and the legacies of the families memorialized. The cemeteries offer traditional ground burials, mausoleum crypts, and columbarium niches for inurnment.
Both cemeteries still have space available and offer many burial options for future generations.
The Cemeteries, like the parish church and school, are a vital part of our Catholic life. Our first expression of faith is our being baptized in a sacred place — a Catholic church. Our final expression as Catholics is the blessed and sacred burial — a Catholic cemetery. This is our opportunity to rest among fellow believers, awaiting the resurrection to life everlasting in union with God.